Mr Genuine barrel V High- Level

General Chat about all things Fizzy

Mr Genuine barrel V High- Level

Postby rustyrim » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:08 pm

Hi,
Take a look at a genuine F5B/FS1 barrel compared to a cheap and crappy Chinese High-Level barrel. :shock:

Look at the porting/ transfer/ inlet ports on the genuine barrel compared to the High-Level. I knew these barrels weren’t that special, yet I never knew they were that bad. :o

After a full engine rebuild using genuine parts, apart from a High-Level barrel, my poor 89 FS1 wouldn’t: start very well, rev-out, pull through the gears and maintain 40mph on the flat. It was running too rich; the plug was black and wet.
I tried and changed everything: plug, stator, points, condenser, different carb and setting; changed rotary disk seal just in case gearbox oil was leaking into the crankcases etc.
I swore, sulked and moaned (ask my misses). Then I took the top end off and the crankcases and barrel were soaked in petrol. :(
My advise, don’t bother and don’t touch them. Use them as door stopper in your shed or garage. :lol:
Thanks to Per, I can now get my FS1 running properly!
Meanwhile, until I fit the genuine barrel during the new-year, I have temporarily chucked on an old 60 kit (running better now). I ran it over to Mr MOT station today, watch that black ice, :o and it flew through!
Back on the road again ;) :D
rustyrim
On the Road & Rocking

Re: Mr Genuine barrel V High- Level

Postby nat666 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:33 pm

Thats great news - another one on the road, yes there is quite a few of us have had bad experience with crap barrels in the past, when ever I buy a bike the barrel always comes off for a check and if its a crap ported pattern barrel it often gets binned unless I am doing a project involving reboring and re-porting work.
restorer of rust relics
nat666
On the Road & Rocking

Return to General Fizzy Chat