At the weekend....

General Chat about all things Fizzy

At the weekend....

Postby davecumbria » Fri May 27, 2011 6:15 pm

A group of Local Lads (and lassies) did a Coast to coast Challenge (Penrith-Whitehaven-Whitley Bay-Penrith)

The Rules....

Bike to be no more than 100cc

Bike to have cost no more than £200 (but you can spend what you want to repair/customise/restore)

so 280 miles on the most beat up, ramshackle, assortment of bikes, everything from Chinese scoots, to Plastic Rockets (honda C70/90) and Cb/RS/YB100's, that have ever got through an MOT (the local bike shop has been really busy)

All For Help For Heroes and Cancer Research

On the way there will be "Spot Tests" Trial sections and timed sections.

So for god knows what reason I agreed to do it on the fizzy (and yes I did pay £200 for it if you ask )

So the story of a road trip that, on Monday night, I'm still recovering from! [img]smileys/smiley36.gif"%20align="middle[/img]

06.45 Saturday morning headed off to the Starting point at the Pub in Great Salkeld. By the time I arrived they had stated setting the bikes off at 2 minute intervals (slowest first) with quite a few locals there to see us all off. But, as I was on a 50, I had to set off, so there wasnt even time to have a look at the selection of bikes that were taking part.

So after the start countdown, off I went trying to catch up with some of the lads who were already on their way.

Then I realised ..no route map.. but hey i'd done it before so I took the logical route down B roads, and it was only when I was on a B road which ran parallel to the A66.....and saw the rest of the bikes taking the "straighter" route.

So eventually after a steady run through to Whitehaven we all made it to the starting point of the Coast to Coast.

So heres a selection of some of the bikes (all for £200 or less!!)

Tidy little Suzuki 100

Yamaha RXS100 (there were 4 of these)

Honda (boy did this smoke)

Evil and his GP100

Helen's CB100N

A couple of the lads had done a bit of production racing and this was Eddies bike, he was absoulutely fearless on it, 27 year old tyres and he went round the outside of me scraping the footpegs

This is chris, the lad who organised the event (in John McGuinness's old leathers. He'd bought a GT100 Kawasaki do do the run and blew it up on tuesday night, the omly bike he could get off Ebay was this one, picked it up on thursday night, Taxed and MOT'd as well!

Oh And Dunc... Rode this in Full race kit all the way there and back

There wew a few "youngsters" on the trip and they tended to go for scoots

Fancy dress was an option... I chose the option not to wear fancy dress [img]smileys/smiley36.gif"%20align="middle[/img]

So the ceremonial dipping the wheel in the ocean before the start of the run...

So the idea was to follow the coast to coast route correctly, and that what we did, But of course some bikes were faster and there were groups "dicing" along the route, all in good humour. I was determined to get one over on Eddie (the guy on the Suzuki 80) and as he only had 3 gears I seized my chance on the back roads near Lorton.

The road had a seies of steady inclines with a few bends and so flat on the tank of the little Fizzy, I was gaining, getting closer, closer, and before ed realised I was there, I passed... yes!! waited best part of 30 Years for that [img]smileys/smiley36.gif"%20align="middle[/img] [img]smileys/smiley36.gif"%20align="middle[/img]

Think he must've woken up 'cos the next corner was the one he went past me round the outside [img]smileys/smiley18.gif"%20align="middle[/img] .. but I'm still laughing about it. I also had a bit of fun with a lad that was on a Honda C70, he was quicker in a straight line but slower on corners.

The homour was excellent, the bigger bikes used to get ahead and then stop and wait for the rest to catch up, making sure that all were getting along without problems. There was a "brush van" in the form of a car and trailer, along with a service van to carry fuel, spares and overnight bags.

And talking of breakdowns... this was the first, this used to be a field bike until a few weeks ago , so much of a field bike I reckon that exhaust is a Massey Ferguson collector box!

The bike wasnt charging the battery, so until we could get back to Penrith and the workshop, the battery was swapped with the other CB100N, with the idea that the one good bike would recharge the battery while the dud ran down the charge until it stopped.

It meant a stop every 15 miles or so but it worked until we reached the local bike shop who sorted it out....

Minus 5 points for a breakdown though!

The miles were passing by quite steadily and the enjoyment of riding some roads I'd never beeen down (on a bike leastways) was fantastic, over the Whinlatter Pass down into Keswick, and the arriving on more familiar territory.

After a Refuel in penrith (117 miles..5 Litres for me) the run up to Hartside Cafe for Lunch

After a quick lunch the journey recommenced with the rush down Hartside toward Alston, although the sky was overcast we had done well to avoid the forecast rain, and we were heading toward blue skies and sunshine, which made the journey along the back roads really enjoyable.

From Alston it was another 20 odd mile along country lanes before we reached Hexham, then through Corbridge and then onward to the outskirts of Newcastle.

Of course 24 Bikes and the blue haze of 2 Stroke caused quite a stir in the city centre, and the locals stopped to stare and in some cases (mainly middle aged blokes) give us a thumbs up and a wave.

Sitting at the traffic lights surrounded by clouds of blue smoke reminded me of the Ashbourne ride out, but one particular RXS 100 must have had the pump turned right up, as when behind it I became covered in a film of oil!

So onto the Main road up to Whitley bay, a 3 lane road, but you had to sit in the middle lane as the inner lane is used as a on and off ramp for the various junctions

It was then I noticed that the two smaller bikes with Chris and Dunc were doing really well to keep up amidst the centre of a group of bikes......

Only when I got closer in did I notice the bungy straps on the handlebars linked across to larger bikes each side of them!!

So eventually Whitley bay was reched at about 5PM and after a ride down the seafront it was decided to continue the dipping the wheel in the sea tradition..

Road bikes dont do well in soft sand.. so "legging" the bikes across the beach with full throttle applied seemed to be the order of the day, and once the sea was reached a great deal of fun was had by all riding through the surf and doing donuts on the wet sand.

Guess which bike didnt go on the beach...

So When the Coastguard turned up with his blue lights flashing the fun started......

Decent enough guy, but someone had made a complaint, so he had to take registrations, he assured us that no furtehr action was to be taken as he had warned us of our actions

Didnt stop me standing in front of my numberplate though [img]smileys/smiley2.gif"%20align="middle[/img]

So eventually back to the el cheepo hotel that had been booked for us

Bike parking wasn't a problem..

Safety in numbers was Idea, but Even so I blagged a space in the back of the van for the Fizzy [img]smileys/smiley36.gif"%20align="middle[/img]

So with all the bikes parked up and the plug caps removed, we headed out for the bright lights of Whitley Bay and Food.

Whitley Bay is a pretty typical victorian seaside resort which has suffered in the usual ways that seaside towns have over the last few decades.

But.... at about 6pm on weekend nights it comes alive with Stag and Hen Nights along with the usual weekend nightlife of any town.

So after grabbing a quick meal at the local Witherspoons we ventured out to sample the nightlife.

Have to say we had a great night, never seen so many young ladies who were risking Rheumatism, Arthritis and liver disease in such a small area, being underprepared and underdressed for the bitingly cold wind which was coming onshore, and being a bit overindulgent with the intake of alcohol.

Still, there was plenty to look at [img]smileys/smiley17.gif"%20align="middle[/img]

I'd spotted what appeared to be a Biker bar on the main drag, and was keen to get in for a look, but the group was intent on calling in on every bar we passed. The bars were really "Clubs" with louder and louder music blasting out the later the evening went on (I know I'm getting old)

So, after walking into one bar and finding myself deafened by the assault of loud music......

I turned round and headed for the biker bar.

And felt immediately at home, cracking pub, couple of bikes on shelves, parts and memerabilia on the walls, "on any Sunday" playing on a big plasma TV and some great music on in the background.

When the rest of the group caught up (well the ones over 40) the comment was made "Why didnt we come here first?" [img]smileys/smiley36.gif"%20align="middle[/img]

Well anyway a happy end to the night, and the sensible ones headed off for bed.

So the following morn, out of the hotel hoping to get a good start and get home for dinner.....

Hmm.. 9AM breakfast finished at the hotel dining room

By about 10, a few of the late finishers had started to come down and were wondering why there was no breakfast, at least the ones who surfaced at 11 were astute enough to realise they had missed it,

Outside, it was now a hive of activity, refuelling next to the area for smokers, me doing repeat runs up to the newsagents for bottles of Lucozade and Ibruprofen cleaning off the dried on sand off chains and sprockets....well you get the picture

So when Eddie and Chris finally landed down (12!) and admitted it was daylight when they had got back from the pub it was mount up and head for home

The weather was a bit breezy but it was at least clear

Sunday at about 1.30 we hit Newcastle, along with about 50,000 football fans heading for St James's park for the last game of the season, so I got split from the group and lost contact. Coming down past St James's Park and seeing a TV Camera pointing at me I wondered if it was Sky Sports or the BBC.

But as I'd split I headed off on the A69 the main cross country route, and ran into a bloody big headwind. Trust me doing 30MPH on a busy A road, with your head down over the speedo and your feet on the rear footpegs on a Fizzy ain't much fun when you are on your own, but I was heading to Corbridge and Hexham where I would meet the rest of the group

Oh and then it started raining.. [img]smileys/smiley36.gif"%20align="middle[/img]

So, keep the head down and do the miles Corbridge and then Hexham came and went, no sign of the group, so kept going thinking I was still behind them.

So after Hexham in the rain it was over the "top" to Alston. after quite a few miles, the roads had turned to rivers, and I was marvelling at the little fizzy's ability to keep running despite the bow wave of water being thrown up by the front wheel, climbing up the side of a valley the sun finally broke through,the skies cleared, and then you have take a look at the countryside you are ingnoring

Nice picure eh? what you dont see is the road turning right a few miles on and the black clouds that were lying in wait

And they got me, it rained from round that corner right the way up to Hartside Cafe, but believe it or not I was still enjoying the run, the bike was still going, fighting against that blustery headwind, but it was a relief when I rounded the last corner and arrived at the cafe

I pulled into the carpark, took off My helmet and walked into the Cafe, a resounding Cheer and Applause!!

I was the first back, and was immediately hit with a pang of guilt, as I imagined my fellow adventurers still out in the miserable weather conditions, struggling to get through to the finish.

It was only after Sausage, Mash, and Onion Gravy did my guilt subside, as the next member of our group walked in.

Eventually all arrived, along with the second casualty of the event, a puncture on one of the Honda's.

The skies had now cleared, sunshine on the Penrith side of the fell and dry roads, so the last leg of the run was planned,

Quite simple, down Hartside, back to the Pub, last there buys the beer.

Once again, the staggered start, all the 50's first then the 70/80's then the 100's

I missed the start of the 50's so set off with the 70/80's

I had no chance of keeping up with Eddie on the 80 so I amused myself on the way down dicing with the honda 70, faster than me on the straights I could catch him on the corners, and I kept up right to the bottom. Then onwards to the pub, overtaking the other 50's until, back to where the journey had begun, and the finish.

Couldnt believe how many people were there waiting, looked like most of the village had turned out. Trophies for various thing were presented, best points score, biggest bang, etc, and Dunc 8 (the Honda Melody) was presented with the Big Run Trophy for getting all the way there and back at 28MPH.

Anyway, the thing is, it was for a good cause, I bloody well enjoyed myself, and feel a bit of a fraud as the Charities the run chose to support are for people who aren't enjoying life as I did over last weekend.

Would I do it again? wish it was on again This Weekend, cos damm right I would.

Lastly A BIG thankyou to all you lads who dug deep and offered to sponsor me for the run. Again seems a bit of a fraud as you lads paid up for me to do something I really enjoyed.

So

PANUNO........RDjock......OLDRDuser.....MERVIN

PAUL DAWKINS......RD350LC......SNOWY......ARROW

SADDLER

[img]smileys/smiley32.gif"%20align="middle[/img] [img]smileys/smiley32.gif"%20align="middle[/img] [img]smileys/smiley32.gif"%20align="middle[/img] [img]smileys/smiley32.gif"%20align="middle[/img] [img]smileys/smiley32.gif"%20align="middle[/img] [img]smileys/smiley32.gif"%20align="middle[/img] [img]smileys/smiley32.gif"%20align="middle[/img] [img]smileys/smiley32.gif"%20align="middle[/img] [img]smileys/smiley32.gif"%20align="middle[/img] [IMG]smileys/smiley32.gif" align="middle[/I

Many Many thanks for your support, in all the run raised over £3500 for the "Help for Heroes" and Cancer Research charities

Hope that this hasnt gone on to much, I've been aching all week but a "Grand run Out"

(all on 12 litres of Unleaded!)
davecumbria
On the Road & Rocking

Re: At the weekend....

Postby jobby » Fri May 27, 2011 7:48 pm

what a cracking ride would loved to have been there 8-)
jobby
On the Road & Rocking

Postby pertheswede » Fri May 27, 2011 8:11 pm

Nice one Dave ;) 8-)

You never told me about this event? I would have sponsored you ;) :roll:
1624 Club Members signed up as of 14-05-2023 :-)
pertheswede
Site Admin

Postby davecumbria » Fri May 27, 2011 10:13 pm

Sorry Per it was on the Rd forum (the report is a copy but I'm having difficulty editing it on this format to get rid of the smileys etc)

Such a brilliant run, I was the only fizzy on it but thought the rest of the club might like to see what a great weekend out can be had on a Fizz!
davecumbria
On the Road & Rocking

Postby funkymoped » Sun May 29, 2011 6:50 am

So they fell for the fact your fizzy cost you less than £200 then Davo?
I am the phantom Fizzy stripper.
funkymoped
On the Road & Rocking

Postby davecumbria » Sun May 29, 2011 9:09 am

Well I blagged it on the grounds that I bought two of em in 1997 for £400 :o

OK try and prove that I didnt :lol: :lol:
davecumbria
On the Road & Rocking

Postby garyb » Sun May 29, 2011 11:03 am

Great stuff that Dave :D