Fizzy values??

General Chat about all things Fizzy

Fizzy values??

Postby cola414 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:32 pm

I love restoring 80,s bikes and as most of you on here know now i,m currently doing a 394 model but I,m curious to know which pattern parts can you get away with without it devaluing the bike for resale?
I don,t restore for profit but if I wanted my fizzy to be in the upper selling price bracket I do know that mudguards/rims/spokes/indicators really need to be genuine! :roll:
Whats your opinion on this??
cola414
On the Road & Rocking

Re: Fizzy values??

Postby Oliverreilly » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:13 pm

It is possible to build a fizzy using all original parts, but it depends if you will ever be lucky enough, have enough money or be in the right place to get the parts. These bikes back in the day were regarded as toys. They weren't looked after back then and original parts don't often survive on them.

My opinion is, because of this, we all understand its not possible to get all original parts, and if you can, it's going to cost a fortune.

My advice is that it's your fizzy, no-one else's so build it how you want. If there's a part that doesn't fit quite right, or you're not happy with, you could invest in a nos part so you're satisfied with it.

If you wanted a 100% genuine fizzy to sell for a top price, it would cost you a top price to get it to that standard

You could end up spending up to £6,000 all in, including paint, chrome and fenders and rims etc and the bike is only worth £4,500 max.

Do it up to how you are happy with it being.

If your fears are that someone is going to start picking at your bike when it's parked up, pointing out all the non-genuine parts, well think again because people don't do that. The first time you ride it past a pub and men stand there pointing and smiling at it, that will have you smiling for the rest of the year. I can't take my classics anywhere without people stopping me and chatting about them.

If I saw a fizzy parked up, I'd be happy just to see one on the road. I wouldn't start picking at it.

I you're planning to enter shows though, you will not win the concours cup if it has lots of pattern parts on it. This is for the elite, the best, the unmolested, the original and best restored fizzies in the land. These don't see the road. They spend their life wrapped up in cotton wool and rooms with de-humidifiers.

They weren't made to be wrapped up. They were meant to be ridden.

I'm rambling now, it's your call, so enjoy what you want it to be.
Oliverreilly
On the Road & Rocking

Postby butchers » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:31 pm

here here its your bike do with it what you want and most of all enjoy it 8-) 8-) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
butchers
On the Road & Rocking

Postby mickh67 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:10 pm

butchers wrote:here here its your bike do with it what you want and most of all enjoy it 8-) 8-) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi
Couldn't agree more. There not there to sit looking at. The years just roll back as I ride mine, 16 all over again, Doc Martens an all :lol: :lol:
mickh67
On the Road & Rocking

Postby cola414 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:39 pm

mickh67 wrote:
butchers wrote:here here its your bike do with it what you want and most of all enjoy it 8-) 8-) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi
Couldn't agree more. There not there to sit looking at. The years just roll back as I ride mine, 16 all over again, Doc Martens an all :lol: :lol:

Aww shite!!Wish you had,nt mentioned the Doc Martens....brought the memories back....off to get some tmw!!lol!!
cola414
On the Road & Rocking

Postby cola414 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:50 pm

Oliverreilly,I agree with most of what you are saying but believe me some people do criticise to the point of being silly!!
I don,t sell any of my bikes usually but recently advertised a RD250LC which is done in Mars bar black and the guy who came to see it stated that the 250 decals were not in the right place as he says they shoud,ve been 30mm down from the top of the panel??FFS!!
My bikes are spotless but are ridden and I just wish guys like that would Feck off!!
cola414
On the Road & Rocking

Postby Oliverreilly » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:08 pm

cola414 wrote:Oliverreilly,I agree with most of what you are saying but believe me some people do criticise to the point of being silly!!
I don,t sell any of my bikes usually but recently advertised a RD250LC which is done in Mars bar black and the guy who came to see it stated that the 250 decals were not in the right place as he says they shoud,ve been 30mm down from the top of the panel??FFS!!
My bikes are spotless but are ridden and I just wish guys like that would Feck off!!

Yes, but that guy has nothing better to do than measuring where decals go on tanks. If he is that sad and that anal, I doubt he has any friends, and if he does, they will probably be as sad as him. They're the type that critisize show bikes too. Part of it is jealousy. They're jealous you have such a nice bike and enjoy taking you down a peg or two. If the decals were in the right place, he would critisize you on the fact that they're not the original decals that it came out if the factory with. They're just spiteful a$$holes who are sad and pathetic. True bike enthusiasts are glad just to see another bike on the road and still running and being looked after. He picked up on your decals as the paint job is probably the most expensive bit to have done.
I doubt he even has an RD250LC himself. It's funny he picked up on that though, as when yamaha were painting the bikes and putting the decals into position, every single tank varied slightly as to where the decals went. If you found two pinstripe fizzies which were totally original and compared and measured where the decals were, they would differ in measurements. They were just looking for them to be the same on each side and line up from above. The same goes with the rd's etc.
Oliverreilly
On the Road & Rocking

Postby mickh67 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:28 pm

Oliverreilly wrote:
cola414 wrote:Oliverreilly,I agree with most of what you are saying but believe me some people do criticise to the point of being silly!!

Yes, but that guy has nothing better to do than measuring where decals go on tanks. If he is that sad and that anal, I doubt he has any friends, and if he does, they will probably be as sad as him. They're the type that critisize show bikes too. Part of it is jealousy. They're jealous you have such a nice bike and enjoy taking you down a peg or two. If the decals were in the right place, he would critisize you on the fact that they're not the original decals that it came out if the factory with. They're just spiteful a$$holes who are sad and pathetic. True bike enthusiasts are glad just to see another bike on the road and still running and being looked after. He picked up on your decals as the paint job is probably the most expensive bit to have done.
I doubt he even has an RD250LC himself. It's funny he picked up on that though, as when yamaha were painting the bikes and putting the decals into position, every single tank varied slightly as to where the decals went. If you found two pinstripe fizzies which were totally original and compared and measured where the decals were, they would differ in measurements. They were just looking for them to be the same on each side and line up from above. The same goes with the rd's etc.

Heavens above does he take a measuring tape with him when he goes to look at bikes? :lol: :lol:
mickh67
On the Road & Rocking

Postby fizzydoctor » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:27 pm

mickh67 wrote:
Oliverreilly wrote:

Heavens above does he take a measuring tape with him when he goes to look at bikes? :lol: :lol:

I always take a measuring tape with me when I view a bike :geek:

Just to make sure it will fit in the van :)
Wires in a mess? Need some help? Visit https://www.facebook.com/FizzyDoctor
fizzydoctor
On the Road & Rocking

Return to General Fizzy Chat