Restoring my Fizzie MY WAY!!

General Chat about all things Fizzy

Restoring my Fizzie MY WAY!!

Postby cola414 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:44 pm

I,ve restored quite a few bikes now and I,m halfway through my Baja brown speedblock which I absolutley adore and I,m sure its gonna end up in my living room with a spotlight on it!! 8-)

Like many of the guys on here and other forums I get slightly agittated by the Anoraks who maybe dont even own a Fizzie telling me that this is,nt right or that should be that colour whilst not really knowing how I operate when I restore!!Don,t get me wrong,the guys on here who have restored to the very last nut,bolt,washer cable clip etc have my utmost respect but for me the bike having its original pedal mounts with the odd mark where a sixteen year old clobbered it with a hammer in the day is more appealing than shiny new ones that were made in Outthebacki,China last year!!

Those parts I have just mentioned I had plated but they are original and look really well but I,ve just had someone telling me that for my bike to be a show winner they would need to be replaced along with the original handlebar bolts which again,were plated but one has a spanner mark on it from back in the day which I find endearing because they are original!!!!

Of course,some parts have to be replaced with modern day replacements but that cannot be helped!If I could find original side casings/tank which did,nt need painting I would buy them and fit them but as you know that ain,t gonna happen!!
I don,t want to win a show with a bike that is,nt original.In fact,I dont want to win a show at all!!I want to restore my bike.ride my bike,clean my bike and maybe chin the odd tw*t who points out the rear sprocket has one tooth too many!!Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Have a nice day!! :lol:
cola414
On the Road & Rocking

Re: Restoring my Fizzie MY WAY!!

Postby Oliverreilly » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:03 am

cola414 wrote:I,ve restored quite a few bikes now and I,m halfway through my Baja brown speedblock which I absolutley adore and I,m sure its gonna end up in my living room with a spotlight on it!! 8-)

Like many of the guys on here and other forums I get slightly agittated by the Anoraks who maybe dont even own a Fizzie telling me that this is,nt right or that should be that colour whilst not really knowing how I operate when I restore!!Don,t get me wrong,the guys on here who have restored to the very last nut,bolt,washer cable clip etc have my utmost respect but for me the bike having its original pedal mounts with the odd mark where a sixteen year old clobbered it with a hammer in the day is more appealing than shiny new ones that were made in Outthebacki,China last year!!

Those parts I have just mentioned I had plated but they are original and look really well but I,ve just had someone telling me that for my bike to be a show winner they would need to be replaced along with the original handlebar bolts which again,were plated but one has a spanner mark on it from back in the day which I find endearing because they are original!!!!

Of course,some parts have to be replaced with modern day replacements but that cannot be helped!If I could find original side casings/tank which did,nt need painting I would buy them and fit them but as you know that ain,t gonna happen!!
I don,t want to win a show with a bike that is,nt original.In fact,I dont want to win a show at all!!I want to restore my bike.ride my bike,clean my bike and maybe chin the odd tw*t who points out the rear sprocket has one tooth too many!!Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Have a nice day!! :lol:

Mate, I find concours a joke. It even involves removing overspray and weld spatter (little balls of weld around a weld). That's all original but the bike has to be what they percieve as perfect. I like bikes that have original parts and are as close to the real thing as possible, but I like them to be ridden also. I don't see the point in spending alot of money on a bike you know you're not going to ride. You never bought the bike to look at and not ride so get on it and enjoy it whilst the anoraks spend sunny days on the toilet with a copy of Classic Bike having a good play with themselves. No bike is ever concours. Even from new. When have you ever bought a bike or car which is 100% absolutely perfect with not a mark on it and everything working? Just shows that they're not even concours from new.

I'd rather have a washer with a mark on it that was fitted to my bike from factory than a perfect one from another bike which has had a totally different life.

Enjoy your bike mate!
Oliverreilly
On the Road & Rocking

Postby cola414 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:06 pm

I understand we are all different but when I was at the Suzuki kettle meet recently and the winner pushed the bike from the back of a van and back in again I felt hard done by and I did,nt even have a bike up for the trophy!(I was on a mates kettle)
The bike was amazing but it was not in a condition you would have seen at a showroom back then....it was too perfect.....not really rideable infact?? :roll:
cola414
On the Road & Rocking

Postby trueblue » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:16 pm

Do the bike your way , i had a lot of comments about my ss ,,,to much chrome ,, , but thats what i wanted so i did it , will do it again on next one :D
trueblue
On the Road & Rocking

Postby allspeed » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:23 pm

I get told mines not a proper fizz or even a fizz full stop. I laugh when i all they see of me is my number plate as i fly past the fookers :twisted:
allspeed
On the Road & Rocking

Postby trueblue » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:44 pm

we need to go out together , so you can look at my plate ,lol went out with mark ,purple fiz in h,bay went past him in third ,he s got a sixty kit mines still standerd bore 49 cc cant stop smiling on fiz
trueblue
On the Road & Rocking

Postby allspeed » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:18 pm

Mine dont do 47 in third, 37 max. So yep i would be eating your spent two stroke. :cry:
allspeed
On the Road & Rocking

Return to General Fizzy Chat