Do you guys bother?

General Chat about all things Fizzy

Do you guys bother?

Postby Oliverreilly » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:43 pm

Been reading on this forum and there doesn't seem to be any mention very often of rusty fuel tanks. Do you guys bother with all these silly linings? I was talking to a mate and he said he just cleans it out the best he can and then sticks a fuel filter in between the tank and the carb and then when the filter stops getting crappy, replaces the filter and tube with a normal tube.

Would having a filter on it filter out the 2-stroke mix and make it a bit weaker?

I've heard you can get all these acids that burn all the rust out but is it really necessary?

Cheers, Oliver.
Oliverreilly
On the Road & Rocking

Re: Do you guys bother?

Postby butchers » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:33 pm

The last tanks i've used on my bikes have all been cleaned with vinegar and washed afterwards. i've used filters for short while then gone to straight fuel line. i've had no problems,

i once used a lining in a tank tbh it didn't do the trick :oops: :oops: however it was a long time ago and things have improved since, but i swore i'd never use a lining facility again

other may have different opinions :roll: :roll: :roll:
butchers
On the Road & Rocking

Postby Oliverreilly » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:18 pm

I've used a tank lining on a bike before and it was such a faff! You had to heat it up and then pour it into the tank. It then went rock hard as soon as I poured it in. Didn't cover the whole tank and now I have to get rid of it all. Stupid and hard to do.

Do you use just normal vinegar from the shops, or is it some super concentrate stuff? I prefer your idea. I don't care about a bit of rust in the tank. Noones going to be looking in there anyway. It won't get worse either with the oil mix being in there too.

Thanks for your reply! Oliver.
Oliverreilly
On the Road & Rocking

Postby pertheswede » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:50 pm

Tesco's malt cheap stuff about 11p a bottle ;)
1624 Club Members signed up as of 14-05-2023 :-)
pertheswede
Site Admin

Postby Oliverreilly » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:17 am

pertheswede wrote:Tesco's malt cheap stuff about 11p a bottle ;)

Sounds good to me ;) does it actually remove the rust or just clean it?
Oliverreilly
On the Road & Rocking

Postby allspeed » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:15 am

It removes it, takes a few goes to do it and takes a good week a go. As soon as its rinsed make sur you swish a litre of diesel round the tank or it starts going brown again amazingly quick. If your tanks bad put a handfull of small bolts into it on the last one and agitate it every few days.
Its not a quick job but worth the effort, the tank lining i used failed :cry:
allspeed
On the Road & Rocking

Postby Oliverreilly » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:29 am

allspeed wrote:It removes it, takes a few goes to do it and takes a good week a go. As soon as its rinsed make sur you swish a litre of diesel round the tank or it starts going brown again amazingly quick. If your tanks bad put a handfull of small bolts into it on the last one and agitate it every few days.
Its not a quick job but worth the effort, the tank lining i used failed :cry:

It's fairly bad my tank. I think it's mostly surface rust as the metal is solid as anything. Anything is an improvement! I much prefer a shiny metal inside tank than some resin gunk or something. Once it fails and gets into your fuel lines and carbs, it's a nightmare!

So you just brim the tank with cheapo vinegar and leave it for a week at a time? Empty it and keep doing it til it's clean? And do you wash it out between changing the vinegar?

Cheers guys! Oliver.
Oliverreilly
On the Road & Rocking

Postby allspeed » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:14 am

I used fresh vinager its cheap, and yesy just swill it about everyday, normally they come up like virually new, if after two times there is still lumps visible then used the small bolts with it half full, give it a good shake then brim it again and leave it. It comes up great but its not a rush job. It starts rusting in hours though after, so rinse with a few litres of peterol after, then the diesel and job done.
allspeed
On the Road & Rocking

Return to General Fizzy Chat