Help! Doing my head in!

General Chat about all things Fizzy

Help! Doing my head in!

Postby Oliverreilly » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:43 pm

So I'm riding my fizzy and pull into a petrol station. It has quarter of a tank left so I fill it up to the brim. How do you guys know how much oil to put in? If you brim the tank, there's no room for oil! Do you have an oil bottle in a side panel or something with markings on it? How do you guys work it out?

Do you pre-mix it at home and fill up when you get home?

Makes me respect the cci on my suzuki where I don't have to do mathis when filling it up!

Cheers, Oliver.
Oliverreilly
On the Road & Rocking

Re: Help! Doing my head in!

Postby Lionel » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:17 pm

I carry a bottle with a measured amount of 2 stroke for 1 gallon but usually buy a gallon in a petrol can and mix the two stroke before filling the tank.

I only carry oil just in case I run out of petrol (only done that once so far)
Work To Live don't Live to Work..
Lionel
On the Road & Rocking

Postby Oliverreilly » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:08 pm

Lionel wrote:I carry a bottle with a measured amount of 2 stroke for 1 gallon but usually buy a gallon in a petrol can and mix the two stroke before filling the tank.

I only carry oil just in case I run out of petrol (only done that once so far)

Oh I see! That's clever. I don't know how 16 year olds worked it out back then. Maybe that's why they kept fowling the plugs or seizing the barrels!
Oliverreilly
On the Road & Rocking

Postby nat666 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:21 pm

Here is the measurement per litre mate for the various ratio's normally possible

premix oil ratio's

20:1 - the standard Fizz original mix on mineral two stroke oil ratio = 50ml of oil per litre of unleaded petrol
with modern advances in two stroke oils and unleaded fuel - I only use this occasionally with mineral premix oil.

25:1 - this is normally a pretty safe premix ratio in a fizzy for all the modern semi or fully synthetic premix two stroke oils = 40ml of oil per litre of unleaded petrol

30:1 - this mix ratio should only really be used if you are using 100% fully synthetic good quality two stroke oil and your confident your set up is spot on and then be careful - I know a few who have seized , knocked out big ends and mains with lack lubrication - I have run this premix on a highly tuned fizz with no issues but I dont run this on a normal every day fizz with a bigbore fitted or standard bore, = 30ml of oil per litre of unleaded petrol

Just find a fairly clear container( could be a shampoo bottle, liquid soap or whatever with a good lid that seals - for example that holds 160ml - then clean it out and fill it with oil marking it at every forty ml of oil that you put in - which at 25:1 would then be good for up to a four litre fuel fill up , then when you stop to fill up turn off your fuel tap , pour in the required amount of oil to match the amount of fuel you intend to put in - fill up with fuel , shake the tank well from side to side after re-fittiing the fuel cap and then reopen the fuel tap and away you go.
Or you can buy purpose made motorcycle two stroke oil measuring containers on Ebay
My wife gets me little measuring cups from a cookware shop she uses which measures from 5ml up to 30ml , so I can fill a container quite accurately.
I hope this is of help to you.
restorer of rust relics
nat666
On the Road & Rocking

Postby smokejumper » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:28 pm

Us sixteen year olds(in 1975) used to use the garage forcourt oil, left by the side of the petrol pumps. You could adjust it for the petrol/oil ratio you wanted in our case 20-1

two squirts per gallon I think, if you could afford a whole gallon ;-) sometimes you forgot to tell the assistant about the oil when you paid as that was extra ;-)

Also as we were still at school and maths was fresh in our heads we could work out the ratios using bottled oil. Not so easy now though at 54 .
smokejumper
On the Road & Rocking

Postby allspeed » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:20 am

nat666 wrote:Here is the measurement per litre mate for the various ratio's normally possible

premix oil ratio's

20:1 - the standard Fizz original mix on mineral two stroke oil ratio = 50ml of oil per litre of unleaded petrol
with modern advances in two stroke oils and unleaded fuel - I only use this occasionally with mineral premix oil.

25:1 - this is normally a pretty safe premix ratio in a fizzy for all the modern semi or fully synthetic premix two stroke oils = 40ml of oil per litre of unleaded petrol

30:1 - this mix ratio should only really be used if you are using 100% fully synthetic good quality two stroke oil and your confident your set up is spot on and then be careful - I know a few who have seized , knocked out big ends and mains with lack lubrication - I have run this premix on a highly tuned fizz with no issues but I dont run this on a normal every day fizz with a bigbore fitted or standard bore, = 30ml of oil per litre of unleaded petrol

Just find a fairly clear container( could be a shampoo bottle, liquid soap or whatever with a good lid that seals - for example that holds 160ml - then clean it out and fill it with oil marking it at every forty ml of oil that you put in - which at 25:1 would then be good for up to a four litre fuel fill up , then when you stop to fill up turn off your fuel tap , pour in the required amount of oil to match the amount of fuel you intend to put in - fill up with fuel , shake the tank well from side to side after re-fittiing the fuel cap and then reopen the fuel tap and away you go.
Or you can buy purpose made motorcycle two stroke oil measuring containers on Ebay
My wife gets me little measuring cups from a cookware shop she uses which measures from 5ml up to 30ml , so I can fill a container quite accurately.
I hope this is of help to you.

Nats bang on. Thats exactly what i carry, 160ml in my pocket in a hand wash jar, and one of the those small yogurt containers that just fits under the battery tray. This carrys enough for 3 litres if i am just topping up whilst on the road.
allspeed
On the Road & Rocking

Postby Oliverreilly » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:38 am

Thanks for your replies guys! Knew there would be some way of logically working it out. Also didn't think about turning the tap off so it doesn't flood into the carbs at a stronger quantity possibly causing fowling of the plugs.

Also, the comment about 'forgetting to pay for the 2-stroke oil' made me laugh!

Currently looking for a Popsicle fizzy at the moment. Hope one comes up. I'd like one to restore, or craply restored, so if you know of one, let me know. Cheers guys, Oliver.
Oliverreilly
On the Road & Rocking

Postby pertheswede » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:55 pm

I have two of the old forecourt 2-stroke oil dispensers with the turn dial for the various ratios (20:1, 33:1 etc) one being an original Esso one. ;) :roll: 8-)

It was one squirt of oil per gallon of 2* petrol I believe?
1624 Club Members signed up as of 14-05-2023 :-)
pertheswede
Site Admin

Postby smokejumper » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:21 pm

I can't remember so well, you might be right.

Only sometimes we could only afford half a gallon and I thought it was one squirt for just the half.
smokejumper
On the Road & Rocking

Postby pertheswede » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:37 pm

Here you go if anyone wants one (or two) :shock: :roll: ;) 8-)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-VINTAGE- ... 1003wt_754
1624 Club Members signed up as of 14-05-2023 :-)
pertheswede
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Fizzy Chat